- 2 tea bags Joe’s Tea Co. Chocca-Roo-Brew
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup plantbased mylk (coconut works well)
- ½ cup gluten free oats (we love the sprouted Rude Health oats)
- ½ cup buckwheat groats (we love planet organic sprouted) (can be subbed with quinoa / amaranth / millet )
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp organic miso (we use Clearspring brown rice miso)
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- ¼ tsp organic date syrup
- ½ tsp organic maple syrup
- Large handful of spinach
- Optional (1 x scoop of natural / vanilla plant based protein powder)
- Toppings: spinach leaves, nut butter, toasted nuts, hemp seeds, coconut yoghurt, maple drizzle, granola
Brew your tea bags in 2 cups of boiling water and leave to brew for 5-10 minutes. You can do this in your porridge pan if you like to save on washing up! Remove your tea bags and let the liquid simmer in the pan on a low-medium heat. Add all your ingredients, bar your plantbased mylk and spinach, and stir well. Leave to cook for 10-15 minutes or until the grains are to your liking – we like ours still with a little “bite to them”. Towards the end of your cooking time scrunch up your spinach and using scissors, cut into shreds into the pan. Add your mylk and stir well. Add a tiny pinch of sea salt or pink himalayan salt. Cook for a further minute or so.
Pour your porridge into your favourite breakfast bowl and top with whatever you fancy. Cashew butter, coconut yoghurt and toasted nuts work well for this recipe. We love having this healthy gluten free snack on a chilly day.